Rick Collingwood is a clinical therapeutic hypnotist, hypnosis trainer, author, and founder of Mind Motivations and The Global Hypnosis Academy. His work combines traditional hypnosis with Ericksonian hypnosis and Mesmerism. He has been featured on major media outlets across Australia, the U.K. and the U.S. and regularly teaches courses and workshops for other hypnotherapists.
On today’s episode, Rick shares the journey that has led him to combine three different styles of hypnosis into a method that works for him and produces results for his clients. We discuss the power of hypnotic phenomenon, his study of Mesmerism, and the misinformation that surrounds this method He also explains how the first hypnosis training he attended impacts the way he teaches students today.
“To me, hypnosis is when you can put somebody into a state and create a natural phenomenon.” – Rick Collingwood
- How skills from his career in sales have helped him as a hypnotherapist.
- His experiences with hypnosis education and how they affect how he teaches students.
- Why the perfect model for a hypnotherapy session does not exist.
- Why he recommends using formulas to get started and then breaking away from them.
- What he makes sure his students can do when he is training them.
- Creating a natural phenomenon during hypnosis.
- His thoughts on the current public perception of hypnosis.
- Why what he expected hypnosis to be like when he first started out has changed.
- What he says to clients who are fearful of mind control.
- The benefits of phenomena or magical moments inside the hypnotic experience.
- Why he emphasizes practical training over theory in his academy.
- Why he does not market his work.
- Why it is so difficult to reintroduce Mesmerism to the hypnosis community.
- The client issues for that Mesmerism can produce great results.
- His definition of Mesmerism and what you need to learn to understand it and put it into practice.
- Why there is so much misinformation about Mesmerism.
- The lessons and tools he wishes he had found earlier in his career.
- The subtext and internal process that occurs during hypnotic fascination.
- The difference between trance states and hypnosis.
- Why it is beneficial to set intentions before client sessions.